Tag Archive | warpfire thrower

Another Rat Ogre ready for service

Finished off the Rat Ogre with a smattering of Flesh Wash to make rust, followed by Mithril Silver highlights. A couple of small details, like some rivets and smaller plates, were given a coat of Burnished Gold, to create a more patchwork appearance to the metal areas. This was all finished off with a highlight to the green areas, using a mixture of Goblin Green with a little Skull White added.

I also decided to make a start on painting my converted Assassin, as well as the Warlock Engineer, Warpfire Thrower and Plague Wind Mortar from Island of Blood. So far only the base colours have been done, Bestial Brown drybrushed over a black undercoat, followed by Khemri Brown, Mithril Silver, Elf Flesh and Goblin Green areas blocked in.

Still, the clan grows.


Managed to make a dent in the Globadiers today. Not much of one, though.

I measured each models tubing, clipped to size, and glued them in. After they have dried I can start painting them. Sweet, sweet progress!

While I was at it, I also added the tubing to the weapon teams I had already finished. While the Ratlng Guns tubing hasn’t been painted, I got a layer of Emerald Green onto the Warpfire Throwers tube.

I also managed to finish highlighting the cloth on my Clanrats, and also did some rust detailing on the metal areas. Next I will have to highlight the green cloth, followed by the fur and flesh areas.

Those in charge step forward


Work has started on the Chieftain and the Warlock Engineer. At the moment I have just done the Bestial Brown base along with a layer of Elf Flesh.

The overall colour scheme will be pretty much the same as the weapon teams and the Globadier, though I do intend to introduce a bit more green to the characters. For instance, I think the back banner of the Chieftain will have a large green clan logo, and possibly one of the shoulder guards of his armour will be green. The Warlock Engineer I am not so sure about. I was thinking the plate in the centre of his chest could be green, with a reversed clan logo. I think green should also be worked into the Warp Blades too.

Basically the intention is to use some smatterings of string colour to make the characters pop out from the surrounding horde.




Speaking of which, the surrounding horde!

I still have to glue the piping onto the Warpfire Thrower and Ratling Gun, but apart from this I am pretty happy with how they have turned out. In fact, I am especially happy with the paint job on the Warpfire Thrower device itself.

Now I have to track down some suitable arms to put onto the Mechanics (Plague Monks). I want them to be carrying something akin to tools of the trade, so hammer seem the best way to go. I’m pretty sure the Empire Knightly Orders boxed set comes with some armoured right arms with hammers, for the Knights of the White Wolf. I’m going to have to see if they have any spare at Gamers Guild. Otherwise, I’ll have to sort something else out.

Any suggestions as to good man sized right arms that could be considered to be carrying ‘trade tools’ as weapons?

Bring the burn


Today yielded progress with the Warpfire Thrower and the Globadier. I still need to do a highlight of Vermin Fur on the base Bestial Brown areas of their fur. Also, the ropes need a highlight too. So far I haven’t been impressed by Devlan Muds effect on the Bestial Brown. I might go down to Gamers Guild tomorrow and buy some Bedab Black, or something. As it is, the fur doesn’t really punch the way I want it to.

Queens birthday



The Queens Birthday holiday here today, so I celebrated by basing some of my test Skaven and undercoating them. I’ll start work on them tomorrow, hopefully.

Vermin cometh


Finally, after days of total inaction, I get back to this. Stupid real life, getting in the way of furry evil.

Today I worked a bit on the Rat Ogre/Heavy Loader. I cut some plasticard rectangles and scored them down one side, so I could bend it slightly. I’m going for a large metal plate feel.


Using a deft touch (and a knife and needle nose pliers) I cut a triangular section off the top of the side plate. I also used the knife to make the edges a bit more irregular, cutting in dents and chips. Strips of plasticard were gently rolled around the circular shaft of the knife handle and then glued on as securing plates. Then I cut small slivers of plasticard rod and glued them on as rivets.


I also worked some more on the Warpfire Thrower. The left arm was drilled out and pinned on. At this stage I wasn’t too sure how much of the guns weight this arm would be taking, so I wanted to secure it well, just in case. I had also drilled out the hand, so I could insert another pin should the need arise. Another hole was drilled into the body, around where the right knee was. This would take the bulk of the guns weight.


This is the Warpfire Thrower itself. I honestly don’t know what this piece is from, but I think it is from some Epic vehicle. I drilled out part of the back section and inserted a pin.


Once the pin had dried, I glued the gun to the body. This initial pin seems to be taking the weight fine, so I think further pinning of the gun will not be needed. I also glued on the right arm, sans hand.


And here is the last of it. I drilled out the right hand too, but that proved to be unnecessary. Chains from part of the Chaos Space Marine sprue were used to create the support grip. Plasticard rod was inserted into the left hand to create a handle. I have used one of the heads on the Plague Monk sprue, the one with half a face and half a skull. The head I swore I would never use!

I left the mould line running down the centre of the head on. My plan is to paint the skull section metallic, like he has some kind of metal face plate. Since this is on the side of his face that the barrel of the Warpfire Thrower is on, I figure it is possibly for protection. The barrel holder is a Skaven I had laying around in my bits box.