In spite of having a cold, I mustered up the energy and will to finish off the three warriors. After some consideration, I decided to attempt a different skin colour scheme on the Pit Fighter. It is achieved with a mix of Dheneb Stone, grey, black and Elf Flesh. Though in what amounts, I cannot say. I just added colours and mixed it around until I achieved the desired colour.
Managed to slip some hobby time in this weekend, amazingly. Painting was out of the question, but preparing some models for eventual painting was certainly an option.
I have three metal Warhammer Quest Warrior Pack miniatures that I want to add to my Warhammer Quest set. These are the Pit Fighter, Wardancer and Witch Hunter. Two of these I could attach to the bases I sculpted earlier, which meant I just had to create an additional base.
Since I haven’t bought some more Milliput I decided to go with the wood filler. This time I added more filler than I needed, with the idea that I could sand it back to the level I wanted. Once I had filled the base with wood filler I allowed it to dry for a couple of hours. This meant it was easier to manipulate the wood filler and create the details I needed.
The Pit Fighter and Wardancer went onto the two bases already created, and I prepared the Witch Hunter to go onto the new base. I drilled out both his feet and inserted pins, which I then pushed through the drying wood filler so create a guide for where the model was to go.
Once the wood filler was dry I sanded the top down to create a more even surface. When the pins were dry I glued the Witch Hunter to the base. I also glued the Pit Fighter and Wardancer to their bases. Once this dries I will undercoat them.
I am very happy with how the wood filler base came out. Making the base higher than I needed and sanding the top down worked well. It gives the base a more consistent look with the other bases from Back to Base-ix. Also, letting it dry a bit before creating the details made working with the wood filler a lot more manageable.
Once I pick up some more Milliput I will have to go through the Warrior Pack rules I have left and see who I can add next. I do not believe I have any more official models left, so the rest I will have to convert.
Sat down and painted the Warhammer Quest Dwarf today. Took me three hours at the most, which is actually quite quick. But it all just came together really well. To be honest, I think the large areas of metal helped a bit.
With the other three Adventurers already painted, the groups actually looks quite impressive together. They all look really individual, but their unified colour scheme just ties them all together perfectly. I am now really excited to take these guys for a spin some time.
Managed to find a couple of hours both Saturday and Sunday and finished the Warhammer Quest Clanrats off. Again, I am really pleased with how individual they look, but also how cohesive they are to not only each other, but the entire miniature set for Warhammer Quest as a whole. There are eight Clanrats sporting shields, not only Skaven but Chaos, Bretonnian and Empire as well.
For the record, the Clanrat with the horse skull on his back is also holding his Empire shield upside down. He might look important, but is obviously not the most observant of the crew.
Putting these guys together has given me an idea for a Skaven background piece. It would deal with how Clanrats like this exist in a quite small dungeon area with a host of other monsters and survive more than a day. Another project to add to the pile!
Finished off the rest of the Minotaurs today. The red cloth sections, wood, metal and bone are basically the same as on the rest of the other models. I couldn’t, however, use the same cloth colours as on the other models, as this was already too close to the Minotaurs skin colour. So I used a lighter brown set, with Khemri Brown as the base and Dheneb Stone as the highlight colour. I also watered down some Blood Red and lightly washed this over parts of the weapons, the ends of the horns and the knuckles of the fists.
Since the lighting was so nice, I also took a picture of how the Warhammer Quest miniatures are shaping up.
Spent any spare time I had during these Christmas holidays on two projects. One was the continued painting of my Warhammer Quest miniatures. I decided to treat myself and take a stab at the three adventurers.
Much like the monsters I have used Scab Red as a primary colour, accompanied by silver and Khemri Brown. I am really happy with how they have turned out, especially since I was a little concerned the colour palette wouldn’t work across all three without a bit more variation. However, I think the different material each is wearing (primarily flesh on the barbarian, primarily metal on the elf and primarily the cloak on the wizard) helps to give each model a distinct look while still operating as part of a visual set.
If I have time to fix one thing, I would like to go back and try the elfs eyes again. As it is they are quite neat, but they look a little like he is having some kind of intense staring match with an invisible opponent.
The Warhammer Quest monster parade is shaping up. Six Goblin Spearmen have been completed. I am particularly happy with how these guys turned out. Rather than paint the robes pure black, they are painted with a brown/black mix highlighted with a grey/black mix. This gives them really dark robes that still contain some nice shading.
Also, these goblin have tiny eyes. Like, really tiny. To paint them I took a piece of brass rod and touched the tip in red paint. Then I poked the paint onto the pupils. I can’t believe I never thought of this before. Live and learn.