Tag Archive | Dreadnought

Forking hell

210409-ratogre01

Worked on my Rat Ogre/Heavy Loader today. First port of call was gluing the feet to the legs, a fairly straight forward procedure. I then drilled out the contact area where the legs will meet the body section so I could pin the pieces together. I also drilled a hole into the front section of the body so I could put some plasticard rod through there, which would then be attached to the loader mechanism.

After pinning the legs to the body I glued in the Skaven operator. His torso and head are from the Clanrat sprue. His arms are Clanrat arms, but I sliced the hands off and replaced them with the hands holding the two-handed flail on the Flagellant sprue. I kept some of the shaft of the weapon under each hand, to act as the controls of the loader. After this, I glued on a front panel, made from some piece I dug out of my bits box. I also used strips of plasticard to cover up the area between the front section and the driver.

210409-ratogre02

Once all this had dried I started working on the mechanism. I cut two I beam pieces of plasticard to same lengths. To these I attached two smaller pieces of plasticard rod to the back, and a larger one on top of them. This larger one could slot over the rod running through the body of the loader. I then joined the two at the bottom with another length of I beam plasticard, and constructed prongs from bits of plastic sprue.

210409-ratogre03

Here we have a close up of the rods securing the mechanism to the body.

I’m happy with how the body turned out. If I get to build some more based on the Space Crusade Dreadnought, I will probably construct the whole body separately before I glue the legs to it. I also think the cockpit area could do with a bit more work, but I do still have to add the small details to this model. So it might yet be okay.

This version is based on a forklift, though I am not 100% happy with it. The body is fine, but I think the mechanism is a bit clumsy in execution. Perhaps some kind of claw that comes out the bottom is a better idea? I am open to suggestions.

Each Loader will have a different mechanism, so there aren’t going to be a half dozen ‘forklift’ Loaders. Just the one. But it is a fairly conspicuous model, so abnormalities in it’s design are going to be more apparent than, say, a Mechanic, who can just be hidden in amongst the other Mechanics.

So that is the Rat Ogre test model mostly done. Overall I’m happy with it, it’s certainly for filling the vision I had of it in my mind. Obviously the mechanism might need some work, but I’ll add the details onto the model first and see how it looks. I’m not to sure what troops will next get treatment, though I have a fairly good idea how to pull off the Jezzails. Most likely I’ll do a Jezzail next, as I can think about what I can to for the other troops while I put one of these together.

Advertisements

Not for Dreadnought

200409-ratogre01

Today I decided to start working on my first Rat Ogre. At this point, I think I might put together one test model of each troop type to see how they all look together. This will also let me plan out what parts and materials I will need, hopefully cutting down on buying unnecessary stuff.

Because it is a themed army, I plan to make the Rat Ogres ‘Heavy Loading Machines’. Basically, the equivalent of Skaven forklifts and other warehouse type devices. The base for my test model is a Dreadnought from the old Space Crusade board game. The carapace section is a little to high-tech for my needs, but the feet, legs and torso will do perfectly.

The first part that needed attention was the feet. As with most Citadel designed miniatures in Milton Bradley board games, the feet of the Dreadnought are moulded to the base. And of course, the base is larger than a standard sized monster base. So cutting the feet away from the moulded base was called for.

I basically used a Dremel cutting tool to slice away the bulk of the plastic from the feet. While a handy tool, the Dremel isn’t really designed to cutting right up to details, so I had to do the rest by hand. It took me about an hour to cut the remaining pieces away from the feet and clean up all the edges.

Tomorrow I plan on starting work on the legs and torso sections.